Wouter Rozendaal

Wouter Rozendaal, born 16 February 1905, son of Henry and Rozendaal Teuntje van Beek, married Purses Petersen, daughter of Wouter Petersen and Jannetje Bonestroo, is op 1 October 1944 arrested by German Hermann Goring troops. After Germany, without declaring war Netherlands on May 1940 within five days after jerked and the Netherlands surrendered.

Sunday 1 October 1944 at night a few German officers killed in the Serbian Hoogen Alder bridge geschooten, which a raid was followed. Men, women were transported to Wells. Who tried to escape were shot. We came to 1 October evening at five o'clock and all the school openbaare been crammed, where we have stood the whole night, located and seated. When the morning were the men of 50 years and older and boys under 18 years in the Reformed Church and 18 year 50 remained in the school year. By ten o'clock, we also visited the church half an hour. We are taken out of the church and are then prepared on the market with so about 600 man. We figured if we actually said, because for the butchery of Goetsch were some mitelejeurs up. We thought there was going to burst through. The loop were aimed at breast height. Then there was such a clumsy Mof forwards could give about the attack on the officers who or some information. There were three men forward: In. Verhoef, E. of Elten and J. High Bridge. Who said what they had seen, but without result. When we heard that we had to go to the station with the words “lie flat with air raid with the nose on the street, who was shot dead. did not”

When all the NSB were removed, We were in a long line to the station. We went through the village. But no people on the street, net of alles dood was. Arrived at the track, I saw my first cow in the meadow, who did not know what was going to happen to their milker. We were hunted down there in the pines at the track. From all sides, the people came with food and raiment, but who I did not see, my wife, I did not see. And I believe, that it was better for me that I did not see her, because I saw so many men and women cry at that parting, and the majority did not see her family again. Meanwhile, we were chased back. We were on the west side of the railway line and on the east side of the track loaded. The custom is to load in Amersfoort to the west and the direction of Zwolle on the east side. We stood in dense cattle trucks, where hundreds of women were opgeschaard to their family or father or husband, provide son or brother of some food or clothing, and of course with the best wishes all went crying to each other. Not, ik ging op transport, not seen my wife, no food and my commonplace attire to. I was in a car, which was so dense that nothing a hole in it, there you could see through anything. In Amersfoort arrived, We were taken out of the wagons a little on this side of the station and climbed against the mountain, along the line. And then on the way to the concentration camp. De people, who were on the road, were far enough back into the soldiers. In the camp arrived, We immediately saw many policemen who were captured and asked straight away: where you come from, and that was to ask how or what. We stood for a while and were soon divided into a kopbarak and then, but went straight to bed and wait to see what tomorrow will bring forth. We were up in the morning and got a cup of coffee and our bread ration. We did it once and are then only went outside. Soon we saw work: they were put to the generator timber and when we have only dealt.

It was soon 12 hour that we could eat. We got red carrots and they were not nearly good. We went a few days with wood make each and soon I joined the team to go digging. They had that summer potatoes grown. We could work there best and there was a week, then we got a Red Cross Packet. I also got half a packet of wood piece and make a packet for digging, dus ik had 2½ packet. I still had enough to eat. The last morning we again appointed to go digging. That lasted for a while before we were off. Finally we have gone to the country, whether we should soon return to camp. And again the appeal to midday. We went to eat. The food was the best last afternoon. In the afternoon it was announced that we were going to transport. “Going to work behind the IJssellinie” was saying. Again we have the whole afternoon on the appeal stood until we were ready to leave. A German officer was so busy with thunder, screaming and hitting, that he had taken off his coat and was on the naked shirt. While he hit, He had a couple of dogs with him that bites even as he hit. With the departure of each person was given a loaf of bread, but then it was up to the Putters, when there was no more bread distributed. Finally we left with about 1500 man to Amersfoort station. In three to four feet ran a SS or the Green Police, obviously armed. It was when we were at the station zakdonker and when we were in the station, not less. The station I had already considered all. I was standing there thinking, where should it go. I figured to Germany. Then I thought, I wish I could cry, but once, but I could not. Then I thought: I see women or children may never again. Say goodbye, anywhere, profit and money and smuggling. Then I thought again: I did not gain much taken. I was most gracious people rather. But when I come back again. I may never again see Amersfoort and who knows how long it will take sometime. I thought, I lived there for I will come back again. I also thought, I have my father and mother be honored, that my days may be prolonged.

I had done what they did not seem, but a man leave father and mother and cleave to his wife. When I started my comrades see, who had bags full of clothes and everything they could to ease orphans. Most had many tobacco with them, I was a huge fan of. And I had nothing. I stood in my vulgar clothes and no tobacco, no food. I was a good eater. I ate all day at what I got. Ten days we I had my rations were in Amersfoort and 2 ½ Red Cross Packet and yet I had nothing when we went from Amersfoort. But the Son of man also had nothing that he could lay his head on. I was not comfortable and was not quiet and rest, and not the tumult is come. And I feared. Ik had ééne troost. I was poor and naked, 'm naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return daarheenen. And so I comforted myself, that I would return. Which outer expectation is done and that because such a miracle, Therefore, it is also disclosed. And I hope that the words, I write still may continue from generation to generation in mind here. Children, I do not know how long the world will continue to exist, but I hope they will not read it, they can say: that's my great-grandfather.

And now I will write on how the way we have spent and hope, that there are many people who read it will be able to learn what life is out.

In Amersfoort on the platform there was loaded coupe for coupe and anyone who was not easily, was of such a German officer with a blow so long schoppe stem from his waist or over his back. Negotiations were also told us. With us it was all just so. I found it quite. I quickly jumped in without folding. We sat for another half hour or train departed. We were ten Dutch and one Polish woman. That was one of the Green Police, was also forced the. The Germans have not lived with the Pooling nice. Meanwhile, we were already on Terschuur and soon we heard some guys from the train jump. The train was not hard, hij reed 20 at 30 km per uur. We had also wanted to jump over one another to get out, but one said: they had said in Amersfoort: The jump from the train, them were women and children doodgeschooten. There were two more at the door, that said, if a stands, we seize fixed, because we are sometimes doodgeschootten. Meanwhile we Stroe had already passed, and now and then we heard another stand. We were all in Apeldoorn or we heard them every moment still stand. Here and there stood the train again paused, because everything was properly done to the railways. Then you saw here and there lights along the train with flashlights. The next morning we were in Almelo. We were silent for a while or train rode forward to Almelo station, but they soon learned that they could not continue. The train drove back to where we had morning and stood there we have the whole day standing. The weather was beautiful and the day was warm in the train. We had to stay in the train the whole day. The guards went off the train and went a hundred yards from the train comes from lying under the trees. The engineer and fireman were called 200 meters away under a group of trees. The British planes were there the whole day over, but nothing happened. I think she had it in mind that it was a train with prisoners. In the evening we were hungry and thirsty. Finally allowed a few boys fetch water from a farmer and was a man from each coupe an armful of turnip green go pick. We had dinner again. We still had some salt and then punctual every one tuber in the salt and so we ate again. It was dim. When we saw nursing sisters and other citizens coming from Almelo, presumably with food, but unfortunately the train was leaving. The sleep was so: two men in the cargo, four men on the benches and the rest on the floor and so we drove a little and then we stopped again. Thursday morning about ten o'clock we were a little over the border in Germany. It was Thursday 12 October 1944.

De Pool, we were at the, went to a farmer, and brought us each an apple. For himself, he had an egg. When the German children arrived by train and took in a factory so water for us. Those children were still good. There, just across the border was the whole population still good. So we had the whole week we were finally pieced and Saturday afternoon 14 October in Hamburg. Saturday before noon the train had a speed of such a 70 to 80 km per uur. We saw no different than large hills and mountains and plenty of wood for the afternoon, most heavily birch. Saturday afternoon we have a time stood in Hamburg. The lot was very smashed with bomb and everything was much. Houses of such a eight or nine floors were completely burnt. I also saw a ship lying in a fairway with the Dutch tricolor on it. At half past four we went to Neuengamme. When we got there, it was no longer beautiful. We were chased out of the train and all, four to four, We stood there, took office on the square. We have been there even such a half hour if we were such a large stone building in hunted. Under this grand structure was a large shelter. How many men there was, I do not know, but that train was all in and he was not full. When we got there the whole night sitting. I arrived there in the morning to five hours, but we had already seen a lot. First evening it was announced that tobacco and smoking articles may be saved. When we came out of the shelter, we had to waslocaal, where 25 taps were. When we came in we had to undress. Our clothes were in the bag with a number on it, the same number as the number that we got to our neck. Ik hatred number 57185. Gold rings and horlogies were lumped together on the table. My money did not have to store them, I had not. Ring of horlogie I had not. If you have nothing with you, you have nothing to miss. We were stripped and then it came to pass. I immediately saw an man or four, five on your back on such a low bench. They were lathered and where it was you were shaved. When that was over we went under the does (crane). We were washed and rubbed on the shaved areas with a brush with a caustic substance.

We went with eenen by and would suit us crooks indicated: a shirt, one pair of socks (a brown and gray) één broek, één jas, an overcoat and a hat unlined. On each leg a yellow painted cross. On the back of your jacket a big yellow cross and a cross on the ball of your hat. We were dressed, pulled the wooden shoes back on and then we could go to sleep. We slept at midday to. I slept in the little Evert Hop. In the afternoon we were warned that we needed to get out. I say: Let's just quickly go, because they called. We were immediately. I was there and almost dressed or because such a SS came past me when I just stood my crib. He gave me, to start with, a good blow with a gummieknuppel over my bald cut marble. When I asked what purpose or had, I could get even more, which I quickly disappeared. We had a half hour wait for food and when we got a bit of cabbage soup and a piece or four, five black potatoes. I have the bark is not collected but for the first time, because I had good sense in. The food was eaten quickly. We have the whole afternoon but such a little rondgeloopen in a limited space. So we've got a day or three such a little rondgeloopen. With air raid shelter we had that great back in and then there were usually blows. You can not imagine how a roar if that was. It was then but a cry of: “Quickly, quickly, quickly, loos, loos, from human weck” and then went down the stairs with hundreds of similar. If there was a fall, which was in bad shape. There was but over hollowed so. It happened sometimes that you lay back a half hour in bed, whether it was another air raid. Then you had the same gevalletje already so again and that always happened in the night. The days in Neuengamme were soon passed, and then at ten o'clock we were such a night loaded for transport, for Hussum. We went into closed wagons with a large piece of bread and a nice piece of sausage. A few days later we arrived there. It looked as if not better in Neuengamme. It was immediately shout though such a old horse slaughterer and save. He hit it once already, using a piece of plank. He hit to pieces on the boys.

Meanwhile, we were all gone out of the train and of course all came back on appeal. We have been there many hours and were then gradually in the blocks. I was placed in a kopbarak again. We arrived there in the afternoon to such a three-hour. We got the evening to eat a little something and then went to sleep peacefully but. In the morning we were there for five hours. About eight had the morning to go get coffee directly. Then it was fast food, and again at half past seven in the appeal, re usually one hour or half up. Then we were all put to couples of hundred. We were not quite what we had in the door. There were some thousands of spades, blades and hoes and everyone got such a thing, either shovel or pickaxe. We were in Hussum flat against a railway line to. We all had our tools, but no drink or bread. That we would be getting at work. Meanwhile, the train had already arrived and jumped all the train. We had half an hour on the train or we had to stand there again, and then another half hour walk and we were at work. I do not know how many men and we were there, but I do believe in 1500 man. Since there were already a hundred or three when we arrived in Hussum. Who had all these zebra packets to. We had to ditch digging immediately so large. That had to be a few feet wider and a half feet or deeper. We had to throw down the ground, had previously sod all be chipped and cleats put aside. Was the trench depth, which was then ground and looked about than sod were again overlaid. Then they could not observe the flying machines that there was a so-called tankval. On every fifty yards from the ditch you had a kapo. He had such a yellow band around his arm and stood there in black lettering on KAPO. You had them with a white band around the arm, there was at VoorArbeiter. The voorarbeiders, that was quite a success, but the capos, that were executioners. When I hear the name of the kapo I fear again. They are the devil as. They were simply beasts.

Now I'm a kapo writing:

At work attempted in the evening hiding in tankval a prisoner. When we went to the lower, He would remain. But he was noticed by the SS and was then of course brought back to camp. We came in bearing, had to stop at the gate. Then we went slowly through the gate and were immediately counted. But when we so before the gate, they came running up with all those backward and went with him among some birch bushes. By now we went to the blocks, and were then run past him on for twenty meters away. There he lay flat on the grass and two Kapos were there hammering. Our kapos heard that too, who had to make use of the opportunity and went there with five executioners on the loose. The man screamed terribly. I have listened so long, I heard him give no more sound. First scream. It soon became less and very soon no longer. We were all cold of. That is a Kapo. At work you had to fifty meters a kapo or worker and on the sides of the work left and right, you had a row of armed soldiers standing by the SS or Navy. Soldiers who went with you to work and you also brought back home. When we went to work, you had six or seven feet such a soldier run and when we went to the lower, it was the same again. That such a tank traps were above five feet wide and had 2 ½ feet deep in the low, wet soil. You had more feet wet than dry. The foundation was veelleemgrond, a few feet above ground and skillful than you got clay with coarse gravel pieces. You could never kick you are more smooth insertion. Always was also you that coarse gravel stones for bumping. If you had done the whole day, you were so tired that, if you bed but felt, you slept all. If you were there the whole day working, Then you had an evening train back to join. Then it happened, you were at the point of arrival, that sometimes an hour, sometimes a half hours in the cold to wait, little clothes and almost always a few feet wet. We were already so in the end of October and there were many sick and dead very soon.

It was in October, when there were deaths. When the first three died Putters, meant for us a very loss. All the putters were very much affected. When so many who were sick and ever run to the toilet. Very soon we heard that we had to go to a place recently in Denmark on transportation. The health services were selected, but the sick with a hundred other guys, remained in Hussum. We went to Ladelund. We said: “It must be bad enough being, wants it worse than being in Hussum.” I do not know how long we have been sitting in the train, but not for long. It was such 70 at 80 km apart. In Ladelund arrived, we had to run such a few hours before we were at the lower. Means lower camp, where are all of those barracks for prisoners. The bearings were there in Duitschland. In most communities, there was a. So that you could see that there was anywhere for years counted, that Germany was expecting a lot of prisoners. We came in Ladelund and we soon saw that it was not better than in Hussum. I've been there from 1 November af tot zoo 16 December and at that time we had no water to wash yourself. When I was in the hospital, I went there at night sometimes with a bus or bucket when it rained and put it under the leak to obtain water for drinking or washing zoo. The first morning was the inauguration of the work command the best. We did work briefly at. We were just starting to work at the lower. We had dry soil, re loam and gravel. With the work we went in the direction of the Baltic Sea. It was still lower, So more water. In Ladelund I worked four days. I then got a thick base that I really did very. I had walked piece when we got there, with the two-hour walk. My shoes were much too big and did my foot stukloopen. Shoe: a piece of board under the feet with a few different caps teach shoes are nailed on. You also had the same shoes gewoone gray matter there nailed. So if the water above the board came, the feet were wet.

It was the fourth day that we were then in the afternoon so my feet started to hurt in Ladelund, I could no longer suffering I put him on my shovel to print in the ground. I told my comrades: “I'm calling in sick tomorrow.” But there was a serious point to, because they reported sick, with which was usually tried first or run through your example could be hit with a belt with a gespel over your head you were beaten over your head. I was very scared. I got there that evening and night thinking about how I would aangooien. I was lucky. My foot was me that night became so thick that I could not have that great stocking or shoe. I had such a gray Amersfoort klompsok and I pulled on my bare feet back and then on the sick appeal. We all stood there with lots of friends and we all were wrong what. It was almost my turn to. A comrade of mine was also there with a sore foot in his shoe. That was just tried with the belt and beat him so long, he cases. Meanwhile, it was to me. “Hollander, What's up?” zei commander. I said: “Ailing foot” and put my bare feet on him so. The answer was: “Geen work, In the bloc.” I then the whole day in the block located on the straw. I then had enough blankets, because the boys were then to work. Then there was quite a bit during the day to organize the food. Different: In Ladelund the food was very poor and very little. So bad if we had it there, we still had no camp. The next morning I had to appeal to the sick, and that was the same again, already in the bloc. That same evening there was an early acquaintance with me in the bloc. That was not working and had essentially light work in the camp. It was so cold, was bent forward from the cold and cramping. Even before his time, he came in and asked me bloc: “see that you get a couple of blankets for me. I did. When the stove was clandestinely created. He was right behind the stove and was soon hot. A few hours later he got a little hot cabbage soup. When he had eaten, He had to go to the toilet, where he is to sit dead. In the evening he was carried with us in the bloc. The next morning asked the boss of our bloc, a Dutchman, Five minutes of silence for our fellow. Who could speak could speak, but that has not happened. The same morning I hobbled, with my knee on such a tripod (orgelkruk) to the sick appeal, I've been a half hour and finally got notice that I only had to go to the sick revier. Once there, I had a stroozak, very wet and soiled, lie. There I asked all, but there was no known. I was there for half an hour if I had to go to another room, We are pleased to four layers Putters. Two I knew very well, and two non-. I knew them very best, but she had such thick, stuffed heads, I certainly did not recognize them. They had such a familiar voice, and yet I do not know them. One of them is refurbished, the other is 14 November, with my hand clenched in his hand, deceased.

The docters there were very good to us, You got your good treatment. There was also a Dutch Sani Teter us, the hustle and bustle of everything when we. Soon we were in eighteen forty liters of cabbage soup per day, a large piece of bread and another continually a nice porridge. I've been in that hospital located in 6 November tot 16 December. We have been there a half months. At that time in that room three Putters deceased. Next to one of them, I stayed next door day and night. In dat camp, Ladelund, there are many dead. We were there on December sixteen still five Putters and Amsterdam, layers in the room with us 18 man. When we left in December, We had two Putters leave. On the other rooms are much Putters backward, who were too ill to carry. I had a brother and a cousin of mine back. Saturday morning we all had to go outside. We were then quickly loaded on open trailers, two such great cars behind such a Bulldog tractor. We are then brought to the station, where we have a couple of hours before we were been loaded. There was still such a Schelft wet straw, that we have carried in the wagons. We went with 55 man crept into a 10-ton truck. Morning at eleven o'clock we arrived there at the station and in the evening at such a ten o'clock we left only, we were all very cold. I had so much cold day ago, I am eight times with the pants come down so that night. When I began to be afraid, For more part died of dysentery. The train began to move, and we went, crammed into the wagon, Neuengamme aan op.

Very soon I heard the boys screaming, that they are each other and got on the feet or that they are pinched layers. We sat there in a ton of herring, it was nothing but crying, moaning. Meanwhile, it was Sunday morning, just about 3 at 4 hour, 17 December 1944, when suddenly a boy short with us began to talk away. It was not talking, it was Praying, ja bidden. I usually mention any names, but I will mention: it was Rich Baker, his name was rich and he was also rich in words. He did a prayer, as I've never heard of an ordinary human zoo. His prayer was the content about our suffering and ended with the words: we could be like the thief on the cross: “Och Heere, remember me when You come into Your Kingdom”. That prayer was under silence aangehoord, the sedentary, and some others lying on knees. At the other end of the car rose another Dutchman on, Early who that was that the prayer had done. There was no answer given. The man continued: I'm happy, I've heard those words, that has done me. Meanwhile lustily sang Psalms known. I will call them, which ones are sung, I still know so: As the grass is our short life, How blessed is the people, that belongs to your sounds, Blessed is he who all his strength and outcome but the Lord will give. And so I think, we have sung so an hour. When we finished, we were all well satisfied. I thought so right there in that barren north of Germany: that there on the Sabbath morning to such a four-hour Praise the Lord is sung lustily. If the Lord a sweet savor his. Then we could to rescue his. So we rolled the whole day, met all of the prayer and singing, anything so I had not been through a whole time

The same evening we are back in Neuengamme aangekomen.We were there very calmly removed from the railcar, we could at least run very calmly to the bloc. That was quite different as when we 15 October arrived, when it was directly though such a roar. We came in Bloc 10, it was a good close quarters and we had it pretty good, as good as no beating. So about mid December 1944 we Bloc 10 come, and there are up to 27 January 1945 been. When we were in the Bloc, was already quite soon set up a Christmas tree. And then it was therefore asked the Dutch if they wanted to sing Christmas carols, who also happened. Preferably, a soup bowl additional. We sang the familiar songs: Silent night, The shepherds were at Nights, Glory to God, enz. First sang the Dutch, when the Dane Chen and the Germans and Pooling. When that was over, began Bloc oldest dance with his comrades, jump, singing with Violin, Harmonica in bier, that was the evening of 24 December. At midnight came unexpectedly music corps of Neuengamme in fall, then it was approximately 15 minutes very noisy with screaming, dancing, jump, shouting and horn blowing. When that was over, the music corps went bloc 8, so they went on Christmas night all along Bloccen.

We were at Christmas quite what to expect, said to. I will only briefly be: we got at Christmas tripe and ten cigarettes. The rubbish was nice, but we got there so little of. That was always so: it was nice, they are usually pushed back a lot of, did those handed out. The sigaretten, we received, were bought for the money, that the boys had to issue, when we arrived in Germany. Cigarettes I have not smoked, I have them all changed for soup and bread. There were also boys, who have their food so long exchanged for cigarettes, they were deceased. In this block 10 I've located, Putters are also several dead, Most of dysentery. The location was not good, most with three men on a single bed. It also happened once, we fell through the substrate. I had the whole week already told that etenuitdeler, that we would be covered by a certain time. But when I called him he was walking like he was crazy and of course heard nothing.

There on a Saturday night, against such a eleven, I was shifting his body a little and we went over the top on three others, under our layers. That was a screaming, lights out, So we could not build our bed. Meantime I had to A.I.. gone, and when I came back, the lights were on. A Polish woman executioner was already waiting for me. He asked why I did not build that bed. Could not see, I said. Or to scheisen huh, show the bulge. Or I already talked nicely, that graciously helped out. I got there first fifteen or a gummiestok over my head, which I screaming my head flew under the cribs. When I got there about ten or twelve on my shirt from my loins. When I got the clap, I tried to jump the cribs, which also Dutch in layers, but thrust me right back, otherwise I would sometimes have a few blows might avoid. So were the Dutch among themselves. Those two Friesians, where I was, did not clap, These were a couple guys, hurrying could no longer stand. I looked rather good, so I got the brunt. The next morning my head was like a laundry board. I felt that blows several days. That same guy also shared eating out, as he was being honest with, there was much difference in the one or the other. In this block 10 I have such a 45 days located, in the 45 days there are so eight known Putters deceased. After we are gone from that bloc, there are more dead Putters. The stierven at Neuengamme, were all burned. We had to be inspected every time if we could sometimes work in a command, That went well until 27 January 1945. Then we would have to work and moved from ten to bloc 8. Bloc night was the worst of Neuengamme, I'm only 14 been days. There are a lot of blows given, you never had no rest. In eight bloc was always appeal, if the food was handing, then you had to go outside again. It was one evening, when we were in cribs, that we had to back out at ten. Of all the men of the names and numbers must be written back. When it was such thirty, before that I was back in the crib.

The location was very poor with three men on a single groyne. I lay there with two Belgians, which were also not easy. When I both had kicked them on a certain night's crib, snapped them well on. As the evening we were, came from those Kapos the groynes along and then they greepen most blankets off. It happened once that they greepen the blankets off me, I yanked him right out of their hands. I did not notice that it was a Kapo. I immediately got a big punch on my nose. New, you explained why you are there again when down. You were already happy again, he was just gone. On 28 January 1945, that was on a Sunday. The day I never forget, when there was a half a foot of snow and it was very cold, thinly clothed, bloote been. Shoes, that had me a few inches too short. I had the chop was cut open and the whole day with my bare heels in the snow. We had appeal from morning to afternoon half four. They said, that there were three prisoners away. Since we were the whole day 15.000 man in the cold. In the evening it was announced, that it was not true that there were three prisoners away. When evening we arrived in the bloc, We also did not have lunch, because we were there in the afternoon not been involved. The day I never forget, I thought the day, verkleumend cold, my eldest sister, the birthday was the day everything had to eat and drink. And I perish with hunger and cold. I had once thought to sing: From depths of misery, I cry with mouth and heart, You can send up to salvation, O Lord, behold my sorrow. But I always thought, so bad I have not yet. but on that day I thought: Now I no longer wait, worse because it surely can not. It was not to keep out. And not to keep. And I sang lustily:

From depths of misery

I call, with mouth and heart,

Tot U, that salvation can transmit;

O Heer, behold my sorrow;

Wanna hear my voice begging;

Note my wail;

Give me favorably ears,

There 'k fresh in my power pressure.

I was glad the day was over. We have been ten days in that bloc. The last few days we got for the afternoon to ten hours a few thin slices of bread, with a little liverwurst between. In those days we were all inspected again for transportation, and all were approved. But it was so when it came, honor that the transport uitrukte, We had four Wells Boards together, we did not have to transport it. For the transport, because we were afraid of. A day or four or five in the boxcar, without food or water, there you went very back of. About nine or ten Putters were deported and we stayed with 4 Putters behind. Soon we were transferred to bloc 6. And there we were given light work: braid in zoo’ a size basement, I have not done long. As we worked, you had to overnight, when the air raid was, also to the shelter to, sometimes twice a night. Could you run your own thing, then it was, but now it was a cry and a geknuppel to headlong into the cellar to come. Dege Ones, in which the ziekenrevieren (hospital) were, who never did in the shelter. On 9 February, I thought, braids that I am full. I wish I again in the hunting area was ill, I had to miss that shelter, I was braiding and air raid off. We had dinner and then I, with one of Leersum, went to the doctor. First an hour of waiting in the corridor. When the doctor. I was soon done and was immediately recognized. Those from Leersum was much sicker than I, which was not so easy for each. I was hospitalized and was among the first does (under the tap). When I came in that Washing facility, there was an old acquaintance from Ladelund, a Dutchman, who'd been so good to us. There was also a Putter, a boy of about 17 year, who had always delivered the item to us in Putten. That guy almost started crying, when he again saw Putter. I do not know how’ n time if he had seen no known. He had a good job: He had to keep the stove. I was washed clean and drew well and Putter, Polhout, had my belt and knife so long held. Then I went hunting area in sick. I went inside and had to join myself with a Dane, that was a good Bloc elder. I had to give my name, but they could not understand a given, so myself my name, number and date of birth have written. When that was done, I was brought to my crib, I came to be a cousin of my brother. I have not laughed, or I heard from another crib (because it was late and a night light burning): Is that you, Wouter Rozendaal? I say: And, and who are you? Castle and Evert Jaap Schuiteman. From praaten did not, because you could not wish yourself so praaten. The next morning we were there early to wash yourself. With soap in your hand and your cloth around the neck, because if you went to wash, then you were on your bare back and stood a half hour in line. It was in Germany so: always wait to eat, drink, wassen en W. C., usually in the row. The treatment there was already a lot better than I was accustomed. We could lie the whole day, that suited us very best with our weak bodies. There, a doctor from Utrecht came every time another along the cribs around with tablets for cough and stomach. I always took what for cough, who were the tastiest. The food there was very good, we were not half long enough, but included in other barracks, was there best. Time, who turned and it was morning 16 February, I was then 40 year.

I asked myself the morning off: what you desire today. Oh, I once was filled with dry bread my stomach? Was that even true? How would I get enough bread? There was a refuge. Pray. Pray for bread. The whole day was all normal, Evening we got our normal bread and the bread was eaten. And sure enough, came in bread, Deensch bread. They began to distribute. I then got more bread as usual we got in three days. A comrade of mine, who told me: Now I want to give you some, and also I got two slices of bread from. I could get my bread that evening on. It was soon time, that we would go to sleep, but I could not sleep. I had to wait so long until the lights were. I've never been so grateful for the best tasting food as for this dry bread. The lights were off. Then it came to me at the knees, for that purpose has never been bent, which then had to be bent. That will not be easy, lights out, but they they can hear snap. And I thanked God for the day, He had fed me so strangely. And, forty years. Blasphemed forty years and still want to give to eat. I thought of the pastor, who had to sing at his farewell:

"I have been at it people, that forgot me

Had a long time grief,

And, forty years honing their treaties

always had me grief and now so well. I just could not get over. I say: Lord, I have nothing to pay. Since you do not think about money or good, if you got your belly full but zoowat. I was so grateful when I had never been so in Holland. The days flew by, but I had my time there soon sit up, I was out there again. This I also want to write. On February nine, I arrived at the hospital and at ten February burned beside us quite a block off. There were many prisoners in, but it was substantially clothing depot. The prisoners, it came from the, have the whole afternoon on bare feet and a blanket to the back, with us in the hallway cold suffering. For those people, when it was no more. I've been in that block of 9 to 27 February. If we were in the operating room, there were real barbarous doctors, most French. They have hurt me more, when my foot all healed so that was, als in Ladelund, then he hung loose at. In Ladelund it were French doctors, but were much better. I was transferred again, Go bloc 4, that was a Bloc Zones (that's half a hospital). That was not against, included in other Bloccen. We got the afternoon at eleven o'clock always two thin slices of bread extra. There I was with a Frisian, We were there for two days, whether there was also again before. Our buurlui were caught with stalks. Everything was then followed up. And they found among our crib also pockets, where all stolen goods were. Had we but known. We had to go at once to the boss. We said that we knew nothing and we got there without blows off, what it really was. We did not have to lie, We were behind the fence, but still in the same block. I came upon a groyne, where there are already two runs, a Jew and Amsterdam.

Same day Jooden to come forward, So when we had again a couple one crib. Since then I have three weeks in a row on iezelfde groyne located. De man, where I was, who had his stomach. That have not ate half his food on what he got. I have a lot to that man made. This also could, because I was sometimes a slice of bread with him, and you did a lot for. On Sunday, then we got red cabbage, that he could not suffer, I had therefore to. The three weeks, I was there, I've had the best. When the SS doctor came and we were tested again: suitable for transport. A few days it was very noisy in the camp. Empty barracks and carry out all the straw bags. Yet another day in the basement, Afternoon on the appeal. And by now there were some Serbian Swedish Red Cross-cars. It was 28 March n.m. three thirty when we departed from camp Neuengamme. The cars we sat with 35 man. We got a couple of times a few cookies and the next morning at half past four we were in Water, which is very disappointing. We intended to stay under the Serbian Swedish Red Cross. When we got there, there was once a nursing sister with us, immediately gave us a cigarette. We thought: we would be in Sweden or even in Germany? Sister who told us: running back but there, then you come thus in the camp. It was run for five minutes, when we saw the barracks already: the windows out and no stroozak in and blankets were nowhere to zien.Er some straw bags were taken and we are only crept, as briefly as possible to each other. Open raam, no blankets on cold arrive, that is something which is not easy. The first morning we got no bread, There was not counted. In the afternoon they brought a wagon full of finely sliced, gare koolrapen, the size of barrels filled. They also had an accident with. The unloading of the barrels, they showed a fall, The whole ton flew empty, the embers back. We tried to make something to boast of, but we were soon a hit with the whip to the ears. That bloc oldest grabbed the whip of the car and he pulled it across. That afternoon we received only a small portion and in the morning we had already had no bread.

We have eight days and eight nights in that car tarried with fifty men in that car. That time we had no rain, every day, nice weather. The men were busy working on the land: legs potatoes and oats and barley seeding. Sometimes I thought: I'm much too late in Putten to legs or sow, if I get at least. Because there we figured not much more. We got rather eat in eight days. One morning we woke up, it was not good light, whether I saw on another line next to us some wagons swedes are. We also had an SS guard in our wagon. I was talking to him about that pick. He did the bayonet on his rifle, and he gave me three of those large tubers. I made those tubers my pillow. When the day was by now well, the others were given a tuber, but no three. The place, dat was Wittenberg. Evening before they threw a bomb, behind the train, Night also one next to the train, so that the wagons went up a little, but I have not heard him, when I slept. I was not-the only who had not heard there were more. On one afternoon we were at a large piece of farmland. They had four horses for a seeder, the 32 rules sowed simultaneously. They were once at the end and then did two HL oats in the machine and two HL there, for the return. I think she's such a two convolutions in half a day did. They egden behind with three oxen for five zigzag harrows. The man, besides which I laughed, een Rus, which is the evening starting with dark wagon and not returned. Maybe he sometimes had as a friend. There, on the other side of the line, under the forest, were many temporary wooden houses. Since all lived in factory, because in that neighborhood were many factories. At night we again continued and finally arrived back at camp. Honor that we were in that camp, tootaal was all broken. You saw almost no tree stand up, let alone houses. I do not know how or that camp called, I think of Mansholt or Ragersbruck. It was night when we got there, with two identical trains. We were lucky, We went out last Water away and so took all the food it. However, in the train, previously was gone, they had almost nothing with them. Of the train, there are a lot of dead, I think such a small hundred. When we overnight train to 'camp went, I have about a dozen men stepped back, who or half dead on the road layers. In a car next to us also died there on that infamous transport. He was thrown from the wagon so the gravel next to the train. Who drove but so thoroughly that man stayed there but so are. We came there to lie on cribs, were still hot. There had captured girls slept, from all countries, also from Holland. Warm beds, with many lice, that was very. We came so thick under, that we are not much called it when we caught fifty. No lice, only on your body. The food there was also no better than any other way. We have also not been long. one morning I was going to wash me, I was just outside the bloc, when I was caught in the act. And so a large truck had to. I had no one known to me in. The Waagen was full and we were driving. We drove a great half day before we were where we had. Along the other cars were still passing us, which I saw acquaintances down again. We have more left than right off the road, was so busy on the road. All of those long car covered with horses and oxen. So you saw a car with three horses and make a piece or three cows out of bound. Then you saw another car with a pair of oxen, and also with a horse and an ox there for. I've never seen such crowds on the road. We are sure that half day 1.000 cars passed. They all went to the enemy away. These people had enough to eat with them, more than we. We went in the morning without eating away, so the bed, so away. The car was on the afternoon paused. I had a piece of American soap. I asked such a farmer's wife who stood by car, Hankering? and put that piece of soap on her. And, she said, you need to have? I say: brood. Then I got such a two pounds of bread for that piece of soap. Bread rather than soap, wash, that did go without soap. I saw them sitting in that car with whole hams on the knees. And they cut it briskly. I thought: I hope that time comes for me also once again. As we passed a forest, you saw a thousand fires burning. All who were there unharnessed, cooked some food. I have seen a small camp country, where got nice grass. On each roe ran like a horse, there were a thousand horses, cows and oxen in a small camp country. That was the last camp, where we have been. It was also, as in all the camps, bad. During the day we were not the bloccen, but we were always outside in the sand. If you do then lay in the camp such a day, with the three most, then we put one blanket on the floor and two on us. I was most Jan Mustard and Rich Baker, with our head in a paper box with a Red Cross Packet. I usually did not have much in, usually not more than butter. Jan and Rich were too long to suck on such a thick piece of American chocolate, they dared not eat. I changed almost everything in butter and then took the afternoon a good spoonful of butter in the soup. Most of the boys could not tolerate the butter, they got it from up in her body. Jan Mustard was sucking on such a piece kwatta. He thought of going back to earlier, Sunday evening, the kwatta, which was purchased by Rikkers? It was on a Monday afternoon. I say to Jan: mating with many cows have you been to Nijkerk? Then he said,: did that once again.

We walked through the whole camp, because the kitchen was a hole dug, where they threw canny bones. De botten, we there uithaalde, had perhaps already one month, één of twee, located. Saw the cooks from the kitchen that we were back in that hole, then they put a water spray on your, then you were gone soon enough. Did you then grabbed a leg, then you took a pickaxe, that enough layers in the camp, and hit you such a piece of bone. Did you come back to you Matey, who also asked you a bone. With a piece of iron you scratched the marrow from the bones, usually a bit smelly. The last morning, we were in that camp, we got the morning at five o'clock in the soup. It was so bad, that I've never eaten so bad. Then you could get enough soup, because most of them do not eat. We heard soon. that we would go to transportation. Those, the loopen were, had to run and could not walk, would go with the car. We spoke the morning off, that we would all go run, but when it came down to it, Most remained behind. I had said that I was going to run and that I did. I saw that, when we stayed there, then we were starving surrendered, because they took the whole camp empty. And the one, the movement loopen, also received a Red Cross Packet. I had told the boys: I do not walk long, als ik kan, I dive under. It was very noisy in the morning the whole camp. I was in the camp at a fire, because I cooked a van potato peels on. When playing in the kitchen so the girls caught on, the bullets flew past me, so they shot by the girls. We broke camp in everything but what did burn: the lower layers of the cribs, sidewalks for the doors and made love all who were in the camp. When the afternoon, I went forward to also go on transport. We looked out first whether they are handing out packets and yes. I'm going to stand in line and was soon the turn. We got three men two packets, The SS were each two. They were delicious packets, full of chocolate a packet of tobacco and lots of fruit, they came from France. And then only at the loop, we walked until it was dusk. It was 30 April 1945. We slept that night out on whole wet, cold ground, behind a large, old agricultural barn. We lay the night erg koud, a blanket of us and two of. We were three of us and crawled up short against each other in order to get some warmth. We were pleased that the day was coming. We did get some old wood and soon there were burning some fires. Ate a little and quickly run back to it. First we came across a piece of arable land over approximately 60 Hct. All potatoes that piece remained in the pit, perhaps 600 HL. We should all fill our pockets. When we were about to land, we first got such a hamlet e.g.. Steenenkamer. Soon, the, received free milk. The milk was already no longer be processed, but for the whole transport was not enough milk. I then walked a KM. We soon came to a large forest. I often had to take the pants off. De SS show: What's up, Hollander?, reply: scheizerij. They went around a corner in the road and I shot soon in the forest. I have a good hour in the forest located and then ......


These are the events, the father has just written after his return, and have been preserved. A day after his escape, he was liberated by the Russians. Who wanted to take him to a hospital because of his ailing foot, but kept a vague fear of the Russians to go to him on that offer. Hopping, also known by almost uninhabited regions, it went west on. Sometimes he could ride a horse and carriage, then he rode a bicycle without tires, he had found behind some bushes. It happened overnight in men in the hay or straw, but also in empty houses, whose residents had fled the Russians. Often, there is still food in the house, but he also went on the way to people to eat. One afternoon he came to a house, where he was given a large plate of stew that couple. That it tasted so good, he them, thanks as, gave a piece of soap, still came from a Red Cross package, when he returned a few rolls Negeret (pruimtabak) received. Then he would get back on the bike, was the now vanished, so he had to continue on foot. At last he came to Wittenberge, where a lot of prisoners were. Was waiting for the Americans, that would put them in a boat on the Elbe. Then came the, He was soon on the other side, glad he was among the Russians come. After many peregrinations, Finally he came by train in the Netherlands and ended up in a monastery in Limburg Simpelveld. There he was admitted because of disease surveillance. After eight days, he was allowed to leave again. Via Heerlen to Sittard. Hence with a coal car to Deventer. At the bridge over the IJssel, he was sent back because he did not pass. After he had been taken at the town, He could do with a flour wagon ride to Apeldoorn. Weather on foot, because no one took him. But a sympathetic policeman stopped him for a milk car, which brought him to a sister of his Voorthuizen. Having eaten there, was made for a car with driver, him that evening on 5 June 1945 wife and children brought home. In 1979 he was back in Ladelund at the concentration camp. Virtually nothing is there more left. On the way, he visited the daughter of Ds. Meijer, Mrs. Lorentzen. He kept good memories Ds. Meijer, his daughter anyway later. The visit to Ladelund, Church, the cemetery and the camp, has greatly affected him. Despite everything he's been through, he has become old.

After 58 years of being married, He is on 20 February 1992 deceased at the age of 87, old and full of days. His wife was 92 years and died at 27 april 1999. Both are buried Schootmanshof Putten.